If you’ve followed our blog, then you know that we talk about how important maintenance is. In fact, just recently we published a blog post about the importance of timely air conditioning maintenance. Still, though, homeowners are often hesitant to spend money on a service they don’t need “right now.”
The thing about maintenance is that it is preventative. It actually helps you avoid problems that could otherwise crop up later. In fact, maintenance can help you avoid up to 85% of future repair needs that can arise. Read on to learn more about this service, specifically what we actually do during this service!
The Power of Professional AC Maintenance
For the most part, we believe that maintenance tasks should only ever be conducted by trained and experienced professionals. However, there is one task that you can, and should, be doing on your own–cleaning or changing the air filter.
Our professionals will be happy to show you how to do this if you don’t already know! But it should be changed every 1-3 months depending on the type of filter and the level of contaminants and allergens in your home.
Changing out your air filter will improve the airflow in your home as well as AC performance overall so that your air conditioner doesn’t have to work harder than it should have to in order to provide you with adequate comfort.
With this step out of the way, our technicians will move on to the other components of air conditioning maintenance, where we will:
- Check the condenser and evaporator coils to make sure that they are not obstructed, and that they’re clean and able to absorb and release heat as they should.
- Check on your refrigerant levels. If your system doesn’t have enough refrigerant, it can suffer. And if your system is losing refrigerant, it means there is a leak that needs to be repaired.
- Check the electrical connections and tighten them where necessary.
- Clean the condensate pan and drain so that moisture from the evaporator coils doesn’t overflow them.
- Clean and lubricate the fan and compressor motors in order to prevent mechanical stress that could potentially lead to the motors burning out.
- Check that the thermostat is reading the temperature correctly, and recalibrate the thermostat if it isn’t.
- Replace or clean the air filter. True, we just named this as a step you should be taking on your own. However, we’ll still check it for you just in case!
Professional air conditioning maintenance is vital to keeping your air conditioner in great shape. Without maintenance, you could find yourself facing inefficient system operation, increased repair needs, a shortened system lifespan, and all in all just a really poorly performing air conditioner.
Professional maintenance, however, can prevent up to 85% of the repair needs you might otherwise need and can help retain up to 95% of the system’s original efficiency rating, all while extending equipment lifespan.
To schedule your next air conditioning tune-up in Roanoke, VA, contact W.C. Butler Heating and Air Conditioning today!